Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The meanings of adjunct clauses

For the meanings expressed by adjuncts in a sentence, We
identified three main types of meaning: manner, time and place. However,when clauses function as adjuncts, they can express a much wider range of meanings. The main types of meaning expressed by adjunct clauses are shown here:

Time:

          I’ll speak to you again before you leave.

          When you leave, please close the door.

          I’ll read the newspaper while I’m waiting.

Condition:

         I’ll be home early if I can catch the early train.

         Provided he works hard, he’ll do very well at school.

         Don’t call me unless it’s an emergency.

Concession:

        He paid for the meal, although he can’t really afford it.

        Even though he worked hard, he failed the final exam.

       While I don’t agree with her, I can see why she’s angry.

Reason:

        Bernard was an hour late because he missed his train.

        I borrowed your laptop, since you weren’t using it.

        As I don’t know the way, I’ll take a taxi.

Result:

        The kitchen was flooded, so we had to go to a restaurant.

        I’ve forgotten my password, so I can’t read my e-mail.

        Hamilton lost the case, so he had to pay all the costs.

Purpose:

     Leave a window open to let the steam out.

    In order to meet growing demand, the BBC introduced a new

     service in the UHF part of the spectrum.

    You should write down the number so you won’t forget it.

    The type of meaning expressed by an adjunct clause is often predictable from the subordinating conjunction which introduces it. For instance, if always introduces a  conditional clause , and because always introduces a reason clause.

    However , some subordinating conjunctions can introduce more than one type. While can introduce a clause expressing time (I’ll read the newspaperwhile I’m waiting) as well as a clause expressing concession (While I don’t agree with her, I can see why she’s angry). Similarly, since can express time (He’s lived there since he was a boy) as well as reason (Since you can’t drive, you’ll have to take a taxi).


 Résultat de recherche d'images pour "The meanings of adjunct clauses"